Sunday, April 29, 2012

NCTE Graphic Novels EdChat

I recently participated in an educational chat with NCTE (The National Council of Teachers of English). The chat focused on the value of graphic novels and whether or not more graphic novels should be incorporated into the curriculum. I myself am a largely visual person and feel that graphic representations of novels are a fantastic differentiating tool to assist with student reading comprehension. Through the chat, I was given a plethora of resources that I could use in my own classroom. Everything from Shakespeare to Poetry to Kafka. Many of the teachers also discussed how graphic representations can also assist in student understanding of grammar and other concepts. With this in mind, I decided to do my own graphic representation of a homonym that students continually misuse. After the introduction of this image to my students, I have yet to see the misuse of this word again. I am still compiling my own list of graphic novels that I would blend into my own curriculum and will continue participating in this edchat to attain more resources and suggestions.

No comments:

Post a Comment