Thursday, May 24, 2012

Keep Calm



Monitoring and adjusting. Monitoring and adjusting. That's what I tell myself repeatedly when I stand in front of my class realizing that the minutes are slowly ticking by and I have yet to cover all of the material I had planned for today. How am I going to cram all of this in? What if they don't know the material yet? What if we don't get through everything we need to get through? What do I do? I take a deep breath, smile, and crack a joke. We laugh together as my brilliant distraction bides me enough time to quickly think of a means to cover everything. Then it occurs to me. Of course! It doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the student didn't fill in the appropriate graphic organizer. It doesn't matter if the assessment I originally planned for today must be tweaked to fit the unanticipated adjustment. It is more important that my students understand and practice this new material and feel confident in their abilities to tackle these new concepts before bombarding them with more concepts. What matters the most is their abilities and their skills. It is more important to adjust the lesson and adapt it to the needs of my students. As a teacher, I need to be able to recognize when to slow down and allow students the time to practice and develop their new skills. Scaffolding they call it. What learning looks like, I call it.

No comments:

Post a Comment